Founded May 22, 1992, Monrovia Duarte Black Alumni Association (MDBAA) purpose is to establish unity, solidarity and give support to our peers, to be positive role models for our youth, to establish a scholarship fund for Monrovia and Duarte High School students, and establish a memorial of deceased alumni.
We are a non-profit organization whose focus is on the education of youth in the Monrovia and Duarte Communities. MDBAA members are committed to reinvesting in the youth of their alma maters Monrovia and Duarte High Schools. The MDBAA awards annual monetary scholarships to graduating seniors attending Monrovia and Duarte High Schools that are going on to college. Eight ($1,000) scholarships were awarded in June 2017 and a total of over $64,000 to date.
The funding for these scholarships that assist with the continued educational pursuits of local youth is attained through fundraising and generous donations. We sponsor various events throughout the year that provide educational opportunities, foster community and raise funds for scholarships. The various events that the MDBAA hosts throughout the year include the following:
- Black History Month activities during the month of February that provide educational opportunities highlighting the rich history of African Americans. These events include an Arts Festival (display and judging of children’s art projects), Classroom Storytelling, African American themed Movie Nights, Jazz Brunch, and a culminating Program and Luncheon.
- Mother’s Day Fashion Show and Luncheon honoring and featuring local youth and matriarchs.
- Annual Family Picnic in June featuring games, music, food and comradery.
- Grandparent’s Day Celebration in September honoring grandparents and their grandchildren, including a program, luncheon and presentations.
- MDBAA Annual Scholarship Gala including dinner, program, presentation and entertainment. 2017 theme – “Recognizing Pulmonary Hypertension Awareness Month”.
- Bi Monthly Social Mixers